Friday, November 9, 2012

Curry Queen.

If you know me, you know that I call myself the Curry Queen
I love all types of curry dishes - from sweet and mild to hot, hot, 
hot. I recently took a stab at making the traditional Indian dish, chicken 
vindaloo, and was impressed with how it turned out. Indian cooking has a 
reputation (at least with me) for being complex and timely to make, but this 
recipe could not be more simple. Oh, and it is delicious! Here is how:


 The first matter of business is to create the spice mix. You'll need:

Small palmful of tumeric 
Palmful of cumin
Palmful of coriander
Palmful of paprika
Small palmful of dry mustard
Small palmful of cardamom

Use half of the spice mix to marinate your chicken for at least an hour, 
if not overnight. I also added salt, pepper, garlic, ginger and lime juice.

 Cut up a small onion and saute the onion with the second half of the spice mix.

 Add ginger and garlic to the pot to your taste. I personally use jarred 
ginger and garlic found at the Indian stores near me. The flavor is much 
more intense than ground ginger and garlic and less of a hassle than peeling 
the real thing. Plus, it costs next to nothing and lasts for months.

If you like your food spicy cut up a few peppers and add them to the pot.
If you like your food more mild then simply omit this step. Your call!

Add a can of diced tomatoes with a cup of chicken stock and 
add the marinated chicken, covering the chicken with the liquid. 
Let it simmer for about thirty minutes. I added a touch of cream 
for a little somethin' somethin' but this is optional.  

The finished product is tender, saucy, and absolutely full of flavor
Serve with your favorite rice, naan, or side (shown with cous cous). 

The recipe was taken and modified from this fantastic recipe.

No comments: